Friday, February 20, 2009

OC 1 Performance - Equipment - The Paddle

'The paddle' in its current form - it has a name already, but will first need to live up to it.
52 x 18 x 9 1/2




Ok - did my first careful run without much acceleration.

The paddle can be paddled as is.

Entry - slightly canted with the outside edge leading, no problem. Occasionally not a clean entry, but certainly no plunging.

Catch - didn't get good feed back how effective the catch is - I didn't feel much load on the blade, not sure what that means

Pull - normal, no problem there. You have to stop the pull where we teach to stop it, can't pull through all the way.

Exit - very doable, needed some getting used to. Just handled it the way you would pull your hand out of the water in free style, no problem. Had to be careful not to load the shovel towards the exit. A quick exit somewhat to the side worked. I didn't put any transversal scoop on the blade because I wanted to exit this way, and because I don't want the paddle to get 'locked in' without lateral slide.


Flutter - just a bit on the left and only occasionally. Maybe as much as the old Axel. When I grip the shat low - I grip with fingers only - no flutter.

Shaft - not used to a bent shaft; not sure that it is needed.

Handle - that was a quick fix because I wanted to get on the water. I like palm grip, have a t top. Not as good - Black Bart has a very good handle.

Overall certainly ok. Better than predicted and expected. Of course I would need some proof that this paddle is more effective than my usual Black Bart paddle. I will try it for some miles next week and take times on my test courses.

I didn't get to test full acceleration.

Exit and efficiency would be the key points to look at. If it were more efficient, the slightly different exit could easily be justified.

3 comments:

Hiro C. said...

Let us know if it works... ;-)
You said the blade was a "spoon". I can't believe how much bend you put in that bleade... What is the idea behind this ?

maui said...

Wow. I like the bend. The curvature in the blade will be something to figure out. I have a quickblade paddle that has a bit of a "spoon" concave, I cant stand it, rarely use that paddle. The catch is the challenge, as you slide in the blade, there is more resistance, no more knife affect. However, if you could overcome the catch issue, it just might work.

clarkie said...

It looks evil!@#$

A paddle with attitude, can't wait to see what you named it!