Saturday, February 14, 2009

OC 1 Performance - Training

In this post I will develop a structured trainings schedule for my personal use.

My training schedule consists of three different parts: paddling, biking and high rep weight training.

Paddling up to x6/week total time varies, depends on how long we have day light
Cycling up to x3/week 90 min total
High-rep weight x3/week 90 min total


Paddling - general: this year more open ocean, wave experience so far. This has led to reduced endurance, so I will stress the conditioning a little more.

For my own purpose I set average 50 miles paddling/week as ideal. 20 miles/week does not lead anywhere, 30 is ok, 40 better and 50 is enough as I am not training to win any major race.


Cycling: this one is easy: Three times a week one half hour. 4:30 relaxed, 30" all out, 4:30 relaxed, 30" all out, .. for a total of six times.
If you take the 'all out' serious, you will see an excellent increase in your cardio-vascular conditioning over 6 weeks.

Weight training - high rep: I use an Everlast medicine ball, 28 lbs. Up to 1000 reps per session, reps as fast as possible. Mostly throw and catch. Mostly for hand muscles, forearm, shoulders, some abdomen. Rotation exercises.
Examples: lie on your back toss the ball up with your fingers, catch. Toss the ball up try to hit the ceiling, above the head throws, above the head throws to reach the ceiling ... high rep and fast is the idea.
This is not a weight training in the classic sense. The purpose is to generally develop all muscles that are not trained by paddling.


Technique: I have a series of drills that I use. Now that I have a new boat I will employ those a little more. Paddling with closed eyes, paddling backwards, paddling ama up early in every stroke, paddling with different stroke rates from very slow to extra fast at the same speed, fixed distance with the least amount of strokes downwind paddling without rudder etc..
I spend about 5 % of my paddling time doing this.


Paddling - conditioning: ( to follow )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can you please email your workout to onebigsole@hawaii.rr.com
Thank you! Mesa