Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Anatomy Of A Paddle Stroke - The Hips



There are two things that I have noticed regarding the hips:


I like them tilted slightly forward during recovery and at the beginning of the power phase; this is part of the overall posture that I like to keep.


I read somewhere ' nose over seat bone' as a mnemonic if you want to stand really straight. If you take your nose that far back, you almost automatically tilt your hip a bit and arch your lower back slightly.




Secondly, I like 'below the waist rotation'. 


For me this means, that in addition to the upper body rotation, I rotate my hip on the stroke side forward as well, maybe by as much as 1 or 2 inches.


My mnemonic for this is  'Fosbury Flop' - where the athlete seems to rotate the inside hip forward during beginning of the jump.


This rotation increases your reach and sets you up for a very nice leg drive.

No comments: